Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's beauty box time!

I recently subscribed to a monthly beauty box service. For $12 a month, Beauty Box five will ship you a small box filled with five different beauty care items. Who doesn't like getting new make-up to try out?  Each box contained at least a couple items that I really liked. And it also had at least one item that I wouldn't have normally tried, but still liked.

Here is what I received in my September beauty box. The theme was called Balancing Act.
1 Eyelight crayon, 2 packs of deep conditioner and co-wash, toe spacers (to apply nail polish), 1 nail polish, and 1 mascara.

First, the mascara. Revlon Bold Lacquer length and volume mascara in black. Retail value is $7.99, but I have seen it at Target for cheaper than that. It has a nice, long brush. I have been using it for a month. It doesn't clump of flake. While it lengthens my lashes,  it doesn't really make them look thick enough. I like thick lashes, since I wear glasses all day. So I have been applying a top coat of mascara made by Too Faced. Perfect!


This is the Nicka K New York Eyelight crayon. Retail value is $4.49. I don't know how this would look as an eyeliner. But I used it today to make a smokey eye look. I just applied it over eyeliner, and smudged it a bit with one of my eyeshadow brushes. I will definitely use this again.


And the nail polish, by My Beauty Spot, retail value of $24.99. I don't know anyone who would pay that much for nail polish. I have never heard, or seen this nail polish in the store. But I would never pay that price for it. I have no idea what the color is, but it is very pretty. It's a nice, thick formula, so it's easy to apply. But it has a very strong odor. 


Final comments for the September box: I definitely got my $12 worth. The eyeliner and mascara alone made it worth the price.

Now on to October's box.
The theme for this month was Effortless Allure
1 chapstick, 1 lip stain, 1 cosmetic tool, 1 nail polish, and yet another mascara.

Ok, so they gave the same mascara in the October box. The. Same. Mascara. That bothers me. I don't mind getting another mascara, but I wish it was a different brand. 

This is the lip and cheek stain. I tested it on my hand, but it's a bit faint. It's just a nice, delicate pink. I applied it to my lips. It's a nice, creamy lip stain. It doesn't have any odor or flavor. Retail value is $19.99, but I have seen it for around $9. 


I also tested out the nail polish. You can see the color on the card above. Nanacoco in Mermaid Lake, retail value is $3.95. The color is very pretty. And it didn't have the weird scent that the September polish had. 

The Chapstick was retailed at $2.99. I've never seen this particular Chapstick before. It has 2 sides. The light blue cap contains a moisturizing lip balm. The other side contains a renewing lip balm. According to the package, the renewing side will "revitalize lips". I tried it, since my lips are chapped. It does what it's supposed to. 

The last item was something called an Extend Your Beauty tool. It's like a tiny little spatula, and is meant to be used in tubes and bottles where you only have a bit of product remaining. You use the spatula to get the last bit of product out of the bottle.  Retail value is $5.49. I have never seen it in a store before, but it seems like a handy little tool. 

Over all, I would say that I got my money's worth in the October box. The items would definitely have been more than $12 in the store. I will definitely use the polish, lip stain, and lip balm. And eventually, I will use the other mascara. Again. I hope November's box does not include the same mascara. But I am excited to see what is in the box this month.
Interested in subscribing? Here's a link. 
http://www.beautybox5.com/?u=19681



2 comments:

  1. Those looks so fun! I wish we had them in Germany. I wonder, did the funky smelling polish last longer than normal? (I am trying to think of anything to justify the retail price lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know. I just put it on this morning. Lol.

      Delete