Friday, March 20, 2015

Lunchables!

There is a commercial that Noah repeats all day, every day. It goes something like this. OMG this kid is obsessed with this commercial. It has become his life mission to repeat it all day, and to get his mother to repeat it all day.


Now my sons are very kind, bright boys. I am confident that they will be independent members of society in a few short years. We are fortunate to have a great group of teachers and paras, that work so hard with our sons. And we do what we can at home. We are all about the life skills right now. We work on anything from grocery shopping to what to do in the case of a tornado.

Lately, we have talked about saving money for rainy days and for fun things. We have discussed the trips that they would like to go on, and how it means that we need to spend our "play" money wisely. I thought they understood. Then Lunchables happened.  Now, we aren't super strict about their diet by any means. I will buy them treats on occasion. But I don't buy Lunchables for them. Well on this particular shopping trip, those damn Lunchables popped out at Noah like some flashing neon sign in Las Vegas. He repeated that commercial right there in the lunch meat section, with an ear to ear grin. He wanted that Lunchable. He needed that Lunchable. That Lunchable would complete his life.  At $3.89, I was inclined to say no. I mean, having a complete life is so overrated, right? Plus we have turkey, crackers, cheese, and juice all at home Then the other kid gave me the look. You know the one? The one that says "I am a kind boy, who doesn't ask for things very often." Yeah, I gave in, dammit!

Now I have 2 Lunchables sitting in my fridge, that they will not eat. They prefer a hot meal over some old crackers and a tiny processed turkey product. We had the discussion about our summer trip to Disneyland and Universal Studios. I explained that we just spent $7.78 on Lunchables. Lunchables that they are not eating. $7.78 that we could have used to buy popcorn at Disney. Yeah, reality set in. Sh*t got real, and quick. I went on to explain that it isn't a waste, if they would eat the Lunchables. But let's be real. They aren't going to eat the Lunchables. And when we get to Disney, I will get that look. You know the one. It was the same one that they gave me when they wanted the Lunchables. Only this time, it won't be a waste. They will eat that popcorn like nobody's business.

And if you are wondering, I said Lunchables 13 times.
Now, does anyone feel like having a Lunchable? 14!





No comments:

Post a Comment