Sunday, February 19, 2017

Overwhelmed


I haven't blogged in months and the reason is simple. This school year has left us overwhelmed at times. This is Nik's senior year. The decisions being made and the responsibilities that come with it are at times completely overwhelming. But I finally feel like we have a solid game plan.

This year has put the final nail in the coffin of acceptance. Eighteen years ago, we thought we would be waiting for university acceptance letters. While we have been well aware that this wasn't in the cards for some time, this is one of those bitter sweet years where we allow ourselves to admit that we still feel sadness. But we also get to rejoice in the huge progress, and the kind-hearted, hard-working person that Nik is!

We have been overwhelmed by trying to navigate all the choices. All. The. Choices. There is so much to consider, and we are keenly aware that making the right choice has huge implications on Nik's future. Will he continue in the public school system, as he is legally allowed to do until 21? Does he apply for one of the 2 year university job and life skill training programs in the area? They offer no degree or guarantee that he will end up with a job. Do we look in to other programs not affiliated with the school district? For now, we have decided that Nik will continue on with the school district. It will allow him more time to develop and fine tune his job skills. And he has the same goal that all of his peers do. To be fully employed!

We have been overwhelmed by the little legal details that  must be addressed. What level of control will we need to maintain to protect Nik as an adult? I am thankful for random parents who I have met this year, and who have faced this same decision before me. I'm thankful to Nik's team, who has been a wonderful source of information and support. We believe we have made the best choice for Nik and are eager to move forward.

We have been overwhelmed by all the activities involved with a senior year in high school. Senior portraits, yearbook ads, writing parent letters, ordering cap and gown, announcements... The deadlines involved will make your head spin. My calendar is marked up with senior stuff! Add to it all the fun extracurricular activities like school basketball, bocce and soccer teams, plus Special Olympics basketball and soccer.

Each time that we have been overwhelmed, we have managed to find clarity and a solution to each question mark. We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are confident in the choices we have made. We are thankful that we have given Nik the tools that he needs to be a productive member of society.

I am thankful for an educational team, our friends and family, who have proven to be stretcher bearers when we need it. I'm thankful that I have surrounded myself with people who understand my family challenges, even if they have no experience with special needs. Since we don't live close to family, my friends have sustained me. Sometimes it helps just to have people to laugh with, even when they can't offer advice. Some weird highlights have been friends putting mustard packets on my desk. I hate mustard and they knew I would think it was funny. Friends texting me selfies that are morphed zombie pictures. I have had some great text exchanges with friends this year. They have sustained me. This went down on New Years Eve. Not.Weird. At. All. I'm going to do my friend a favor and not post her picture. You're welcome.

Laughing keeps me sane. And my friends know that I try to laugh as much as possible.  If it's one thing I've learned about the life of a special needs parent, it's that you will learn who is a true friend, and who is not. If they aren't true, don't waste your time. Move on. I can only hope that I offer as much support to my friends as they have supported me this year,

We are just a little over 3 months to graduation day. We still have some things that we are working through. But I feel like we have a solid game plan. We are so excited for graduation! And we are beyond excited for our post graduation family trip to Europe!

 I'm excited to see Nik reach higher stars in the years to come. He has so much to offer the world. Are you ready, world? Because Nik is coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment