Saturday, October 21, 2017

Planes, Trains and automobiles to Europe



Welcome to day one of what the hell was I thinking when I planned this day.  But it all ended up ok, so welcome to day one of Nik's graduation trip! We started researching this trip about 8 months before Nik's graduation. Initially we had planned to go to London. I found perfect airfare. The price was great, the flight times were perfect, and it was non-stop from Chicago to London. We thought we could arrive in Chicago the night before and relax before a very long flight. It was perfect. We even bought upgraded premium seats on Virgin Atlantic. But our plans changed, partly due to our choice and partly due to the airlines choice.

We decided to add on a few days in Paris, but did not want to change our flights. No problem! We decided to take the Eurostar. I went ahead and booked tickets. Against my better judgement, we wanted to go to Paris first, so I looked our Eurostar tickets for the same day we arrived in London. More on that later.

A couple months before the trip, our perfect flights turned in to impossible flights. It was no longer a non-stop and had impossible connections. Fortunately, we were able to get that all straightened out, but it meant we would not have the extra time in Chicago and no longer had the non-stop from Chicago to London. We did manage to keep the premium seating though, which gave a bit extra leg room.

We had crazy early flights, so we decided to spend the night before at a hotel right by the airport. This was a great decision. We were able to leave the car in the hotel lot, and they gave us a free ride to the airport. We let the kids just relax in the hotel room and Alex and I double checked the bags and got everything ready to go. We were doing carry-on bags only, so ninja packing skills were necessary. I'm proud to say that we traveled to Europe on a 10 day trip only using carry on bags! Don't ask how many bags we needed coming home though.
Nik and Noah relaxing in our pre-trip hotel.

We were up at the crack of dawn and made it to our first flight in plenty of time.
Goodbye, Kansas City!

A big part of traveling with special needs people is that you plan out as much as possible. This means picking out airline seats ahead of time, planning flight times around meals because the kids don't like airplane food.

Next stop Chicago!


First stop was a 3 hour layover in Chicago. It was enough time to stretch our legs and have lunch. As I said before, meal times are something that we have to plan ahead for. Fortunately when I flights were changed, we were able to fix it so we could have lunch during this leg of the trip. 
Our next flight headed to New York City. 

This was a 4 hour layover, so we occupied our time reading, watching movies and walking around. We made sure to have dinner during the layover as well. It was a relief to have meals out of the way, because I know the kids would not be interested in the meals that are served on international flights.

Killing time in yet another airport.

Next stop London!

Before long, it was time to board the last flight of what was already a long day. 
Ready for takeoff!



We planned the tiniest detail to make an international flight as comfortable as possible. Noise canceling headphones, comfortable clothes, neck pillows, extra legroom, cups with straws, snacks. 




Leg room!

So close to first class, yet so far away.

Hey, who did rabbit ears on me?

While the rest of the plane was busy eating their meals, we all washed up, brushed teeth and started to settle in for the night. We all watched movies and tried to fall asleep.


Plenty of movies to choose from on an international flight.

I think we all managed to sleep for a couple hours. Before we knew it, we were getting ready to land in London!




So excited!

Customs line in Heathrow.

The customs line was very long in Heathrow, I was glad that I gave us a 4 hour window for our Eurostar train to Paris. It took about an hour to clear customs, then we were off to the Eurostar station. Here is where I didn't listen to my gut, What I should have done was start us out in London, or at a minimum allow us to spend one night in London before emarking on a 3 hour train ride after a redeye flight to London. That is a mistake I will not make again!


Our first London tube ride!
We took a 45 minute tube ride to St Pancras railway station. Once inside the train station, I knew it was a mistake. The kids did not want to eat breakfast on the plane, so once in the train station, I went to find something for us to eat. While waiting in line with our food, the room began to spin. Fortunately Alex walked over and let me sit down. I could feel that I was going to pass out, so I put my head down. I swear if I could make it to the bathroom I would have thrown up, but the room was spinning so much, I just sat there and tried to hold it together. I almost died, I tell you! Ok, I just almost puked and passed out, but it felt like I was going to die.

The kids ate and I drank water and ate crackers and tried not to puke or die. Slowly I started to feel better. I really think it was just jetlag and feeling motion sickness from the tube ride. No rest for the weary though, because it was time to board the Eurostar! We were all completely exhausted. I'm so proud of how well the kids did. Let me tell you, we really pushed them on this trip to go outside the comfort zone. They never complained.
Once inside the train, we all collapsed in to our seats.


Exhausted but so happy to be on the Eurostar!


Once again, I did a lot of research on selecting our seats. I picked a car that was close to the food car, and seats that had us all together. I thought we might kill the time playing cards. Ha! we killed the time napping, watching France roll by and watched a movie.




We also ate some snacks along the way. So glad I packed snacks for us!
Before long, we were in Paris. I had researched how to get from the Eurostar Station to Disneyland. I had it saved all in my head. But I didn't account for the fact that jetlag pretty much renders your brain useless. It took us quite a bit of time trying to figure it all out. Finally, we were on the last mode of transportation to our destination! 
Finally in Paris!

After almost 24 hours of travel, we were worn out! We crashed on the bed for a bit. Were we crazy enough to hit Disneyland park after all that travel? Stay tuned to find out.
















No comments:

Post a Comment