Friday, February 20, 2015

It's All Organic. Unboxing Door to Door Organics

There is nothing like good, fresh, locally grown produce.



One of my awesome co-workers turned me on to Door to Door Organics and this was my first week of receiving a delivery. In case you aren't aware, Door to Door Organics delivers fresh, local, organic groceries right to your front door. I was skeptical in the beginning, but after receiving my first box, my opinion has changed.

Here is how the process works. To start off, I had to go to their website and register. https://kc.doortodoororganics.com/ It was a pretty simple process. The beauty of Door to Door is that everything is under your control. You select the size of the box, the frequency of delivery, and the items that come in the box. When you first register, you start off by selecting your box variety. Here are the options:

  • Mixed fruit and vegetables
  • Just vegetables
  • Just fruit
The next step is to select the box size:
  • Bitty Mitty serves 1-2 people for $25.99
  • Small Mixed Box serves 3-4 people for $33.99
  • Medium Mixed Box serves 4 people for $40.99
  • Large Mixed Box says it serves "a party" for $57.99
Once you have selected the box variety and size, you need to select your delivery schedule. You can choose every week, every other week, place vacation holds, etc. 

Depending on your size box, you get a list of items that will be delivered for that week. Another great thing about Door to Door, is that you can make substitutions. For example, I was able to substitute 3 fruit choices, for 3 vegetable choices. Once you select all your items, you are free to add additional items to your box. Door to Door offers a variety of produce, meat, poultry, fish, bakery, deli, pantry and drink items. 

Since I'm someone who likes a bargain, I was pretty curious to see if I would save money. We go through a lot of produce in this house, and most of my meals are made from scratch, so I spend quite a bit on produce every week. 

Here is my first box. I selected the Just Fruit Small Mixed Box to start out.
On the day of delivery, you can set out a cooler, and the delivery person will place your box inside to keep it nice and cool. Although, on a day like today, no cooler was required.

They use mostly paper to pack the produce in. 


My first layer of produce was 3 bananas, and cilantro.


The next layer had 2 blood oranges, 1 Romaine lettuce, 3 tomatoes, 2 pears, 3 Minnelola tangelos, 2 Braeburn apples,

and the last layer of 3 navel organges, 2 Fuji apples, 2 Pink Lady apples, and 1 avocado.


The final layer was some organic, grass fed ground beef. This was an added item. The price of the organic, grass fed ground beef was $6.99lb. That's a pretty good price. It's usually $7.99 at Sprouts.



Here are some pictures of the produce out of the box. Remember that this is organic produce, so it isn't going to be all shiny and perfect like non organic produce. 




And everything that I bought for the week. The total came out to $40.98, but I had a friend referral coupon, so it brought my total to $25.98.
 

Comparing prices to my normal grocery stores (Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Aldi's), I would say that the prices were comparable to the other stores. So I may not have saved money (other than the ground beef). But I definitely saved myself some running around. I usually go to Sprouts for certain sale item produce, then Trader Joe's for other sale items. Door to Door cuts out some of my running around time. I'm definitely happy with my purchase, and will continue to use Door to Door.






No comments:

Post a Comment